Thursday 20 June 2013

Life: Abuji/ Father's day Treasure Hunt fun.


This past Sunday was Fathers day, or Abuji's day, as it is known in our household. (That's Korean for Dad which you probably guessed). And so what does any doting daughter/ darling wife do on such a day? Why yes exactly that, they go away for the weekend with their friends, with not a dad or dad of their children in sight. Go me. In my defence, I never go away, tragically I never get to go out too much either. Boo. This trip had been arranged since last year, and I only realised two weeks ago that the weekends clashed and I felt really rather rubbish, so in my absence I decided to whip up this little treasure hunt so my babies and their daddy could have themselves some Abuji day fun. And fun they did have indeed. Here is how I went about planning our Abuji day treasure hunt.

Cards:


First we made lots and lots of cards, these were made by the babies at home and in nursery.

More Cards:

And then another card was made by my good self. That is a detachable felt rosette that I whipped (sewed and glued) up for the occasion, for Abuji to wear all day.

Banners:

Two little Abuji banners were cut out to hang up.

T-shirts:

And two little T-shirts had Abuji stencilled upon for our babies to wear for the day. The banner of the left in the photo above was actually the stencil for the T-shirts. I bought the T-shirts at Primark, £1.50 each and used some Dylon fabric paint I already owned.

Crown:

This crown, fit for a King Kwak, was sewn for the occasion, using felt, Dalmatian like fake fur and embroidery thread I already had to hand.

Book:

This is where I thought I should purchase a gift he may not put to one side after five minutes, so I hunted down a book I thought he may like. He likes it very much, so that is jolly good.

Map:

Once the treasures were gathered, I sat and pondered hiding places in our home for a very good while. Once decided I set about drawing a little treasure map for the occasion. It was very quick, but well they found the gifts easily so I figure it served its purpose well. The little lady had the responsible job of hiding the map until the Sunday, which she did very well.

Hide and Seek:

The treasures were packed into envelopes and wrapped and were hidden in pretty tricky places. If you can see the map clearly enough above, you can spot this lion print in clue number one, that's the little chaps room, I believe I may have mentioned my frame obsession once or twice?! I also made them keep alternating floors on each clue just to make it more fun (and ever so slightly annoying for Abuji).

Star Prize:

Any official treasure hunt has to have a star prize and ours was... Abuji's favourite beer, what a good wife/ mummy I am. I am quite surprised he did not guess what we were up to as the night the treasure was hidden, my little lady greeted her Abuji at the door from work with "We hid you some beer today, but I am not allowed to tell you that". Miraculously the little chap was dive-bombing onto him at that very moment and he did not hear. 

I have been told the treasure hunt went down very well with all and I got good mummy/ wife points despite my absence. The little lady spent the rest of the day hiding things in the same spots and making them hunt them down, they had a very nice day indeed. I too had a super amazing Abuji's day (aka weekend away with my friends), in case you were wondering.

So have you organised a treasure hunt? How did it go? Happy belated Fathers day to my babies Abuji, my Dad and any daddies who may read this, chin chin to you all.

1 comment:

  1. Wow what amazing ideas, you put our Father's Day to shame! I will buck up my ideas next year!! LLLL

    ReplyDelete